Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Day 14: Haunted by the music of Hildegarde



"The light which I see thus is not spatial, but it is far, far brighter than a cloud which carries the sun. I can measure neither height, nor length, nor breadth in it; and I call it "the reflection of the living Light." And as the sun, the moon, and the stars appear in water, so writings, sermons, virtues, and certain human actions take form for me and gleam."   Hildegarde of Bingen


A haunting like voice sings its way into my soul as I write this.  Today, I was given a song, but I wanted the whole album.  I wonder what haunts me.... the beautiful voice of Jocelyn Montgomery, or the Latin words that find no understanding in my mind, but somehow warm my heart and the core of my being.  

I downloaded the album so one day I might find the place where the music will dance with what feel.  To listen to it in my office while I have my brain engaged might not give me the full experience that the songwriter, Hildegarde of Bingen, wants to gift me with.  

It's haunting, but beautiful.  Is this the soundtrack to a journey of peace or an expedition of anguish?  I think I could find myself comforted by these harmonious musings in the greatest of sadness.  I am asked not to understand, but simply to listen; to breathe and to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment